Favorite quotes (really, it’s a couple favorite quotes and then ones that caught my eye when I was looking up favorite quotes):
- God doesn’t care what you were, he cares what you are. – I don’t know who said it first, but I heard it in the movie Cowboys and Aliens. Good movie, btw.
- Don’t practice until you get it right. Practice until you can’t get it wrong. – probably said by some music teacher eons past and quoted down through the ages. First mentioned to me by the lovely John Wright.
- Sexiness wears thin after a while, and beauty fades, but to be married to a man who makes you laugh every day, ah, now that’s a real treat. – Joanne Woodward (completely unrelated to my theme-based quotes, but had to be included, because it’s a favorite!)
- “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, ‘Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?’ Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won’t feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
Used by Nelson Mandela in his 1994 inaugural speech
And as shorter, more quotable versions of the same theme (this is where I was looking up things):
- Nothing splendid has ever been achieved except by those who dared believe that something inside of them was superior to circumstance. – Bruce Barton
- A great deal of talent is lost to the world for want of a little courage. Every day sends to their graves obscure men whose timidity prevented them from making a first effort. – Sydney Smith
- Just as much as we see in others we have in ourselves. – William Hazlitt
- Never dull your shine for somebody else. – Tyra Banks
Please feel free to comment with a favorite quote of yours, because I collect them in a book and I would love to add some new ones!